User-Reports from the USA Science and Engineering Festival

General news about The Micro 3D

User-Reports from the USA Science and Engineering Festival

Postby Barmonster » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:52 pm

so, here comes the first blog-entry about the Micro by a backer and festival-visitor with some high-res. pictures:

http://freebuild.randomosity.net/index. ... ost&post=9

I'm still somewhat critical, as the only new thing I can see is the Octopus and I don't know, if the M3D team brought it to the festival or if it was printed there.
The professional film-crew hired by M3D needs some time for the post-processing (or at least this is, what M3D wrote in the KS comments) and something tells me, that they won't be done with it in 9 days...
I REALLY want this project to be true, but until now it keeps being somewhat suspicious...
Barmonster
News Moderator

Re: User-Reports from the USA Science and Engineering Festiv

Postby CaptainAwwsum » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:34 pm

I was at the festival earlier in the day and can confirm that the octopus was printed on the silver printer on the left. It was finishing up as we walked up and they guy behind the table used a thin plastic knife to pry it off of the print bed and then handed it directly to my son with the base layer sill on. I'll agree that it ran about middle quality of all the 3D prints at the festival. The naysayers will keep throwing negatives out, but for two hundred bucks, I would have taken the prototype right off the table. I'm excited about the product I'll be receiving, no matter when it gets here.
CaptainAwwsum
Early Fan

Re: AW: User-Reports from the USA Science and Engineering Fe

Postby MrBeta » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:35 pm

CaptainAwwsum wrote:I was at the festival earlier in the day and can confirm that the octopus was printed on the silver printer on the left. It was finishing up as we walked up and they guy behind the table used a thin plastic knife to pry it off of the print bed and then handed it directly to my son with the base layer sill on.

Do you have some more pictures to share? Have seen the one you posted on twitter :-D
Source:CaptainAwwsum https://pic.twitter.com/ODXGWWKbec
Betas are for the brave :batman

Black Micro , Green November Early Micro, RepRap BetaSpark
MrBeta
Site Admin

Postby KTurbo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm

That is really nice looking! I'm quite impressed with all the prints seeing how they are not 100% done with the hardware nor software yet.
KTurbo
Site Admin

Postby builder04 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Just did a quick google search for 'Jennifer Micro 3D' (for Jennifer Meinel, the backer who was going to get the images and videos) and it looks like she posted the SEM video comparing the 50 and 200 micron prints. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uyC0Y6jDtE.

Also, there is a link to some of her images on that youtube site. https://www.flickr.com/photos/123970758 ... 369312384/

(First post, sorry if I the links dont work, I am new to forums and so on).
builder04
Novice

Postby builder04 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:04 pm

KTurbo wrote:That is really nice looking! I'm quite impressed with all the prints seeing how they are not 100% done with the hardware nor software yet.

Also the scale of the prints. I think that helps put it into perspective for me. Especially the rocket ship. Watching the video the creators posted in update 6 looked OK, then I saw the size of the ship and my thoughts went to pretty dang good :).
builder04
Novice

Postby builder04 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:34 pm

The printer in action (from Jennifer Meinel). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr7P5RHXJ-w
builder04
Novice

Postby MrBeta » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Wow that's awesome! Wonder how much improvements to hard- and software M3D will make until release to production. The Micro in the Youtubevideo works better than some "final" Reprap-clones 8-)
Betas are for the brave :batman

Black Micro , Green November Early Micro, RepRap BetaSpark
MrBeta
Site Admin

Postby CaptainAwwsum » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:31 am

The only other picture I have is the same octopus in hand but with the flash on to show the layers a bit better, however Jennifer's pics are much better. It was a genius move taking it over to the electron microscope. If I can figure out how to post it, I will.
CaptainAwwsum
Early Fan

Return to News