M3D Q&A

General news about The Micro 3D

M3D Q&A

Postby rcm024 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:32 am

As all of you who check in regularly know, we collected a bunch of your questions and sent them over to the M3D team for answering. Well, the answers are in. The M3D team was extremely quick, and although they couldn't answer everything we asked them, they still took time to answer what they could. So a big thanks to them and hopefully we can make this a regular(monthly maybe?) event. With that said, lets get started. These are the answers that we received back from Michael Armani himself(though I'm sure the rest of the team pitched in too):

Q: Will you release the software early so that we can work on custom interfacing solutions? (i.e. raspi, web, etc...)

A: The software will take several months before we can even consider a first release

Q: Will consumers be able to order spare parts, like a nozzle or a print bed, directly from your web site?

A: At some point in the future we are likely to sell individual parts, though we feel they should not be needed unless the user is hacking/experimenting

Q: As you guys have been active on the Reprap forum, how much Reprap is in The Micro? Will there be parts of it that are open source?

A: There is no significant reprap in the Micro, except perhaps Gcode command structure, we rebuilt everything from scratch to make this printer this affordable.

Q: Can we use software like octoprint on a Raspberry Pi to control The Micro?

A: You can use any software that is guided by standard Gcode.

Q: What sort of interface is the Micro using? Will it be serial over usb like an arduino?

A: All interfaces are USB based

Q: There are more than 11k backers. Will you be able to process all the backers info in the 2 or 3 weeks before the printer shipments? Wouldn't it be advisable to start the info gathering now?

A: We will not gather users addresses until very near the delivery date because out of 11K people, up to 5K addresses will change over a year, up to 500 in one month, etc.

Q: How is the Micro powered and how much power does it consume?

A: The Micro uses about as much power as a 10" tablet being charged.

Q: What are the dimensions for the filament spools?

A: We are not revealing that at this time.

Q: Where is the external filament port located?

A: At the top portion of the extruder, it is shown being used extensively in the original KS video.

Q: Many backers have expressed a desire to create accessories and wish to spend the time they're waiting for their Micro by creating designs, some of which would need to be fit to the body. With that in mind, could you give us more specifics on dimensions? (i.e. how big are the openings; what's the radius of the corners; how thick are the walls; etc...)

A: A good time to release those dimensions will be when the units are in stock from the injection molder in a few months.
rcm024
Global Moderator

Re: M3D Q&A

Postby 3dlyx » Fri May 30, 2014 1:58 pm

I read the answers in the wiki already. Its a little disappointing as it is all pretty vague. But it will support standard gcode, that is not too surprinsing, but nevertheless awesome.

"[] ... uses about a smuch power as a 10" tablet being charged.".
What does that mean? In wiche state? printing? idle?
How much power does charging a generic 10" tablet consume after all? My galaxy tab ist specified with 2Ampere/5V = 10VA/h = 10 Watt. So thze micro is printing on 10Watt? That is hard to believe? Or did I mix up the units?
Leapfrog Creatr Dual Extruder | Micro Super Early Bird Backer
http://my3dprinting.ninja
http://aroundtheworldin80prints.org
3dlyx
Web team

Re: M3D Q&A

Postby MrBeta » Fri May 30, 2014 2:24 pm

3dlyx wrote:...it is all pretty vague...

yes it is, but I think it's okay ATM

... uses about a smuch power as a 10" tablet being charged.".
What does that mean? In wiche state? printing? idle?
How much power does charging a generic 10" tablet consume after all? My galaxy tab ist specified with 2Ampere/5V = 10VA/h = 10 Watt. So thze micro is printing on 10Watt? That is hard to believe? Or did I mix up the units?

Printing. And your're right with your calculation. Maybe it's 2,5A... Sounds awesome!
Betas are for the brave :batman

Black Micro , Green November Early Micro, RepRap BetaSpark
MrBeta
Site Admin

Return to News