Disolvable
1%
Chocolate
5%

Total votes : 85

What's your preferred filament material

Postby MrBeta » Wed May 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Poll:
What's your preferred filament material?
Betas are for the brave :batman

Black Micro , Green November Early Micro, RepRap BetaSpark
MrBeta
Site Admin

Re: What's your preferred filament material

Postby Barmonster » Thu May 08, 2014 8:21 am

isn't it a little bit early for that poll? ;-)
Barmonster
News Moderator

Postby KTurbo » Thu May 08, 2014 8:39 am

Barmonster wrote:isn't it a little bit early for that poll? ;-)

It could speak to users who already have a 3D printer as well.
KTurbo
Site Admin

Re: AW: What's your preferred filament material

Postby MrBeta » Thu May 08, 2014 9:04 am

Barmonster wrote:isn't it a little bit early for that poll? ;-)

I do not think it's to early. Thought to keep that poll permanently open...

BTW Chocolate would be really cool on a dedicated printer :-D
Betas are for the brave :batman

Black Micro , Green November Early Micro, RepRap BetaSpark
MrBeta
Site Admin

Postby 3dlyx » Thu May 08, 2014 9:18 am

printing chocolate shouldnt be to hard. my wife keeps picking on me todo that. but until now i found enough excuses not ot. until now. until she just read the previous post. thanks for that :D
the heater from an nold chcocolate fountain, a glass syringe and a stepper motor to push the piston down should to the trick. sigh. on to the next project then.
Leapfrog Creatr Dual Extruder | Micro Super Early Bird Backer
http://my3dprinting.ninja
http://aroundtheworldin80prints.org
3dlyx
Web team

Postby Barmonster » Thu May 08, 2014 9:26 am

3dlyx wrote:printing chocolate shouldnt be to hard. my wife keeps picking on me todo that. but until now i found enough excuses not ot. until now. until she just read the previous post. thanks for that :D
the heater from an nold chcocolate fountain, a glass syringe and a stepper motor to push the piston down should to the trick. sigh. on to the next project then.

start your own KS-campaign with it! The first chocolate 3D printer! But I guess, it would have to come with a chocolate-filament-extruder as there are no sources to purchase.
Barmonster
News Moderator

Postby 3dlyx » Thu May 08, 2014 9:30 am

naa. i am not the type of going-through-the-whole-kickstarter-hassle-guy. but i will üublish an instructable as soon as i got in running. i acn onaly thing of a chocolacte chopper to break a big chunk into small pieces. but he's just four, not very energy efficient, and needs half of the cohcolate just to keep on running.
3dlyx
Web team

Postby lindamarreno » Fri May 16, 2014 9:24 am

It clearly shows that PLA filaments are the favorite among those choices. It is the most environmental friendly filament that is made from corn. Not to mention the quality of products you can make from it. It does not emit fumes and other things that make it stand from the rest.
Maybe for the years to come, you need to conduct another poll to see if anything changes and some filaments improved, but for now, PLA will win this one.
But beware, some so-called PLA filaments that can be bought from eBay emits annoying fumes like ABS, just stick or find a good provider of filaments. I usually buy mine from 3D2print.net.
lindamarreno
Novice

Postby 3dlyx » Fri May 16, 2014 12:48 pm

First: There's nothing wrong with PLA, I just prefer ABS for a number of reasons

lindamarreno wrote: It is the most environmental friendly filament that is made from corn.

Well that is just half the truth. The final printed product for sure is much less critical when it comes to biochemical interaction with(in) your body. It's even food save, and the better choice to make toys of. (But beware: COLORED PLA might differ as most of the colorants are made of the same acrylics that are used in ABS. Most of the health studies refer to uncolored, natural and pure PLA)
But that does not mean PLA is environmental friendly. it's not. Actually the ecological fingerprint of ABS is better than the one of PLA because producing PLA costs a lot more energy than producing the same amouhnt of ABS. You can see that in a little price gap as PLA is a little more expensive. The gap doesn't reflect the real difference in production cost as ABS would otherwise have a pricetag around 4-6$/kg.
So producing PLA costs MUCH more than ABS. In the early years logisitcs and transportation added to the bad enviromental rating of PLA, as there were very few producers of PLA and the material had to transported around the globe to get PLA done.This has gotten a bit better since then, but the CO² profile ist still just on par with ABS that has a heavy CO² strain during its production.
Last (not least) creating a material from renewable primary products brings the same social-economical problems that we already see in the production of bio-fuel made of canola or hemp. Big farm complexes tend to monoculturize it for fast (subsidized) money and spoil the soil with it on a long term. Smaller frams cannot compete with the big ones, but suffer of the lowered level of subterranen water and less crop from the stressed soils. (TL;DR: theres lot of literature and studies about that aspect)

So I have a hard time to say that one of both is more environmenatl friendly than the other

lindamarreno wrote:Not to mention the quality of products you can make from it.

Which in in my expierience is just the same I am able to achive with ABS.
Working with ABS feels a little bit more 'industrial' though. Everything is hotter, a bit dirtier, More basic. When PLA is the AppleOS under the filaments, ABS is Linux.
ABS is a bit more tricky, but in the end the results are exactly the same to me, except the different material properties of course.

lindamarreno wrote:It does not emit fumes and other things that make it stand from the rest.

That indeed is a point. 3D printing in general is under the suspicion not to be too healthy for people doing it ( a lot). There are studies of micro and nano particles emitting into the air, getting respired by humans and then doing god-knows-what to your body. But this danger goes for ABS and PLA the same. It's the size of the particles that makes them aleegedly dangerous, not the substance. Still I'd prefer to inhale corn instead of heavy oil. Right now I am testing low-emitting ABS (from igo3d.com), and indeed the fumes are reduced by almost 100% 8at least for what I can smell) If it does reduce the particles or just their odeur, I cannot tell. But for sure i don't let my 4 year old hang around the printer for too long when its printing. And I am building a cover/door body. Mainly to maintain stable temperatures, but with the benefit of keeping the bad stuff inside the printer. I thought about adding a particle filter, but I cant find any information if that would be sufficient to successful clean the air from the tiny little culprits.

lindamarreno wrote:Maybe for the years to come, you need to conduct another poll to see if anything changes and some filaments improved, but for now, PLA will win this one.

As stated, I can't see a clear winner there, but PLA tends to be the friendlier material unless proven otherwise. Log term usage will show.

lindamarreno wrote:But beware, some so-called PLA filaments that can be bought from eBay emits annoying fumes like ABS, just stick or find a good provider of filaments. I usually buy mine from 3D2print.net.

I can totally confirm that. Not long ago I printed PLA with support of ABS, then trying to dissolve the ABS in Acetone. Real PLA should be totally unimpressed by Acetone but the one I had got soft, and finally fell apart. So whatever it was labelled as PLA totally had some othe components in it.
3dlyx
Web team

Postby GeoM528 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:14 am

Well, when it comes to environment friendly filament, no doubt PLA filament is the best. However, when it comes to high resistance, I choose nylon filament. I just can’t explain but I've got addicted using rubber-like filament. It seems like the most promising material for me so far.
3D2print-Creating the 3rd dimension
GeoM528
Novice

Next

Return to Refills and parts